1) PLANNING – Ensure the lifting/installation contractor has sufficient prior knowledge of the site before they arrive.
2) INSURANCE – Check the contractor has suitable policy cover to include ALL lifting/handling functions and appropriate level of liability in event of damage or loss.
3) DOCUMENTATION – Ask your contractor to provide a risk assessment and method statement to describe how the works will be completed.
4) EXPERIENCE – Be certain that the contractor has the suitable ability to undertake the required works; ask for training records and details of the crew’s practical knowledge and competencies.
5) EQUIPMENT – Know that any lifting or handling equipment is suitable for the task. Ask your contractor to provide testing and inspection records for lifting equipment and accessories.